Thursday, May 22, 2008

Buddy Holly Photo


This is a copy of a fan magazine published in England. It is a magazine devoted to the memory of Buddy Holly and the Crickets. The photograph was spotted on my website, uticaamradio.org, and I was deluged from all over the world with requests for the photo. I gave permission to the magazine publishers to use the photo which they did by putting it on the cover. Wow! The Buddy Holly fans are a dedicated group. I'm so happy to know that an article on a website originating in Utica, New York garnered so much international attention and 'buzz'. I gave the story to the Observer-Dispatch who declined to do a story about it. The photo op occurred in Syracuse, New York at the Syracuse War Memorial. A concert in Syracuse featured Buddy Holly, the Everly Brothers, Paul Anka, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino; Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers, Clyde Mc Phatter and more. This was in the middle 1950's and the price of admission was scaled at $2.00, $2.50 and $3.00. An all-star cast of famous recording stars for that low price for admission. No wonder they refer to that time as the "good 'le days". Photo taken by Tony Marturano of Rome, now deceased. It was my son who suggested I use this photo and lots more on my website, uticaamradio.org, where you can view them also. You're invited to visit and enjoy the research on the start of Amplitude Modulation Radio (AM)Broadcasting in Utica, New York. Allow me to use this 'oldie'. Why do radio announcers have small hands? (ready for the answer?)..........wee paws for station identification.

No comments: